Monday, February 15, 2010

Week 3

This week began ok, got pretty bad, and ended better.

Show began on wednesday but really, work is all week. Monday is "easy" and we only feed, turn out and wash their legs afterward. Tuesday there are "ticketed warm ups" and "warm up classes". Ticketed warmups are paid entry to a show ring with a limited capacity to school over the show jumps and dress is schooling tack. The warm up classes, on the other hand, are actually judged and are show atire for horse and rider, but no braiding. Classes run wed thru sunday.

I was grooming this week for three horses instead of the two I was expecting. One rider was going to do her own grooming and simply have me hold him while she walked her jumper course, but it ended up with me entirely caring for her horse all day, when she had been doing it up until the show. She was to show every day so that was an unexpected stress. Additionally, a client new to elizabeth was very harsh and berated me once for the inconclusive info I had. The next day (Friday) I got exact instructions and was again berated. At his point I was frustrated to tears and went to Elizabeth, but before she could say anything the client again exploded on me, this time in front of another client, who independently went to Elizabeth and unknowingly confirmed my accusations. Things worked out Saturday and Sunday, when the client actually showed, but I think I'm especially careful to do this clients horse as a priority, which could be unfortunate in the coming weeks. Grooming for three horses in one day was stressful when I first looked at it, but Saturday ended up being comfortably stretched out so none showed at the same time. I'm required to tack for their schooling in the morning, clean them for the show, walk the horse to the ring, remain while they show and take the horse back and clean it up afterwards. This could be a few hours per horse. Sunday everyone showed early, but Manuel helped get Lennon ready and Georgette put Anton away while I was at the ring with Artie.

The end of the week was definitely better than the beginning. Five days went from horrible to merely stressful with a rhythem. Nonetheless I know I will never ask to do this again. I'm not getting paid nearly enough to make it worthwhile. I miss my own horses, my friends, and it's not any warmer here in the morning; the hose was frozen when I went to wash Anton's legs at 7am. Five weeks cannot to by fast enough. Friends here might make it bearable, or riding, or a dog, or maybe a stuffed animal. Unfortunately I have none of those.

So things learned this week: wrap your own horses and care for them, so we know who to blame. Make sure they have hay and water, and if someone elses horse is lacking you do that too. I was pretty annoyed, since it seemed that we were all helping, then I was told to do my stalls, then told that we all help the next say. Spray the soles of their feet with bleach daily to avoid rot, and wash legs often with betadine wether or not they have fungus. High level shoe horses get a whole cocktail of legal performance drugs to enhance performance. And I'm the one in charge of that, so I'm making sure I learn what each does. Robaxin is a muscle relaxer, "dex" (don't have the exact name with me) is a calming agent, and were giving some horses either banamine or bute for soreness. Anton gets "perfect prep", a paste calmer given like wormer, about 60 to 90 minutes before showing.

I'm at least trusted to take out braid and clip ears and white legs. Also to lunge, now that I know how long she wants them lunged.

Show week one is over, week two begins tomorrow, and hopefully it can only get smoother, if not easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment